Keeping your Domain Information Up-to-date
Make sure your website contact information is up-to-date. You will need accurate information in order to transfer your domain to a different registrar or to renew security certificates. It is a good idea to use an email account that is not associated with your current domain. During the transfer process the email service that is being transferred will be interrupted. One service where you can check your domain registration information is http://whois.icann.org/
Does your email get spam filtered?
There are many factors that cause an email to get caught in a spam filter. Here are some of them:
- Are you on a blacklist? Your domain name has been listed as one that generates spam. This only happens to serious spammers.
- Are you on a whitelist? Email providers maintain lists of emails that are pre-approved to allow them to go through. The administrators of the email server need to add you.
- What's the reputation of the sender? Email filters look at what type of website you run. One thing filters look at is if you have a reverse MX record that point to your name. If you use a shared hosting account, that record will not point to your exact domain.
- Do you send a lot of emails? If you send out a lot of emails daily you may be flagged as a spammer.
- Are you the one sending the email? Survey companies may include both your email address and their company name in the "FROM" or sender address.
- Are you using a lot of SPAM Words? Email filters look for extra long subject lines, lots of large fonts and an over use of words like "Free" or "Credit".
- Are you using a lot of images in your emails? If you send out your email with a lot of images, you may be flagged as a spammer. Filters cannot see what words are embedded in the image so they assume the worst